Research Questions

Unit 2 Possible Research Questions                                                                                                             23 February 2023    

Question 1: How does technology currently affect students' learning at the university level? 
Response 1: I like this one because it is more broad and you can address more topics.  
Response 2: You should use this prompt because there is no correct or yes or no answer, so the reader can form their own opinions from the information you give in the essay. I also like that you included "currently" because I think it narrows the question down to a time period rather than an aspect of tehcnology. 
Response 3: I think this is the best question because you can talk about many aspects of technology and not just social media for example. 

Question 2: Does technology more often act as an asset or does it inhibit students' learning at the university level?
Response 1: I don't like this question as much because I think it's a little cofusing, and it's very similar to the first one, which I like more. 
Response 2: I think this question is too wordy, and it makes it seem like there is only one correct answer.
Response 3: I like this question, but it's similar to the first question, which I think is more broad. 

Question 3: Does social media have a positive or negative impact on students' learning at the university level? 
Response 1: I like this question because I think social media has a large affect on students in college, but I think you won't be able to write as much as the other questions. 
Response 2: This prompt is good, but again I think you should phrase a question less as a yes or no answer and more as a "how" question.  
Response 3: I don't think this question fits into the subject of writing in technology as much as the other questions. 

Reflection: 

    During the first unit, I looked for sources that talked about how technology has affected writing over the years, starting from before technology was present to now, where there are tools online with the ability to write an entire paper. I really enjoyed the sources I found, specifically a TedTallk that touched on how technology has influenced students' learning in the classroom, so in this unit, I want to focus a little more specifically on what effect technology, in its many forms, has had on students at the university level. Since I am pretty confident in the topic I want to explore, my possible questions were pretty similar to each other, and from the responses, I was just looking for the best way to word the question. 

    I simly asked three of my friends what their thoughts on the three question were, and I had them type in their own responses into this blog. The consensus of their responses was pretty unanimous in that I should use the first one; it is the most general, and I will be able to use a lot of different sources to explore the question. I can still about social media like the third question specifies, but I can also talk about AI, grammarly, computers and iPads and phones in school, which are all aspects of technology that impact learning today. I think the responses reinforced my own beliefs about the best phrasing of the question, and I think I can find a lot of information on the topic to create a thorough and well-researched mini-essay. 

Comments