Unit 1 Reflection

Unit 1 Reflection
    I learned a lot from the process of creating my unit 1 portfolio. I learned about finding quality sources, writing and uploading blog posts, and about the different mediums of sources, and also about myself as a writer and student. I enjoyed the blog-style quotes because I felt comfortable writing at the appropriate level of writing proficiency. I often get nervous about writing assignments because I feel like I need to write using difficult vocabulary and construct intricate sentences, but with blog-style writing, I felt comfortable putting out all of my thoughts because it felt more casual. 
    I learned a lot about different quality sources and how not all quality sources are necessarily peer-reviewed scholarly articles from a university database. For example, one of my sources was an article published by an occupational therapy and assistive technology company, and it relayed very thorough and reliable information while also making it digestible. The article says, "Assistive technology is any low-tech, mid-tech, or high-tech support that supports an individual's ability to function as independently as possible in a given environment" (Ford-Lanza). This quote is a short example that shows that the source is a quality reference for information even though it isn't necessarily "scholarly". However, I did learn that scholarly and peer-reviewed resources have generally more information backed by other resources and data if that's what I'm looking for. 
    I used technology in this project in a lot of different ways. I utilize technology in many aspects of my life, so that is nothing new to me. Some photos below show me working on this exact project and how I used my computer and AirPods and other technology to work through this assignment. I did challenge myself in other aspects of the project though, for example, I looked for reliable sources outside of library databases to see if I could find quality sources and determine their quality on my own. I also used a source that wasn't via written information; the TedTalk was new for me, but it had a lot of information that related to my own path of inquiry throughout this project. I was really intrigued by the idea of how our mode of communication has changed over time due to technology. I used the article about the pencil shop to talk about how in the past people could only talk via spoken or written word. I used the video to talk about how writing in technology has affected school and how it has actually taken away from school in a lot of ways. I used the other two articles to talk about how technology has changed efficiency in businesses and their offices, and how it has affected the efficiency and quality of our writing in academic or professional settings. I learned a lot about how technology has affected communication and I definitely think that I can build off of what information I've gathered and what I've learned. I think I have only scratched the surface of what there is to learn about how technology has affected our writing and communication locally and globally, so I look forward to building on the concept. 
    Below I have some photos relating to the track I took when searching for sources. I have the tools I use for school every day: my computer, my iPad, and my notebook which I really only use for specific classes. Looking at my own forms of communication reinforced what I'd learned from my sources, that I use technology for all forms of communication unless told to do it differently. For example, for my biology lab and this class, I have specific notebooks, but other than that I take written notes on my iPad. My own real-world experience added to the understanding of my project. 
    I really enjoyed this project, and I learned a lot throughout it and even now reflecting back on it. I understand the ways in which I can obtain more concrete evidence for research in the process, and I have a better understanding of a quality source for research. Over the next two units, I will give myself more time to prepare for each individual assignment and the project overall. I will use different tools and modes of information like videos and social media and images to relate the topic to the real world. I think using visual additions will only improve my assignments, and I plan on challenging myself to relay my information in a different way than a written report and reflection. 




Comments

  1. Lauren, you did a really good job. Your blog has a nice set up to it and its easy/enjoyable to read. What stuck out to me the most was your ending reflection. You met all the prompts and went in depth when analyzing. I really enjoyed your use of pictures throughout the blog - it's really nice for a visual learner like me! Good stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment